Friday, 17 July 2020

GPC LEADERSHIP: AGAINST DISQUALIFICATION OF CANDIDATES EXPRESSING ORIGINAL OR "POLITICALLY INCORRECT" IDEAS



If you want the Green Party of Canada to become the greatest Party, the most open-minded, and the most inclusive, a party that would govern, you must not exclude those who come to you.

I am unfavorable in policing and censoring genuine ideas, deemed “politically incorrect”, whether during this GPC Leadership Campaign or at any other time.

Contrary to many friends here, co-workers to save our planet, I am uncomfortable with the existence of this “vetting committee” and its action in disqualifying candidates for their ideas, the last one being Dylan Perceval-Maxwell. I feel it is important to make my voice heard again, although it might not please many, again.

A Green candidate's proposal on the Agenda TVO prime time Program was bizarre. The reaction of another GPC Leadership contestant wasting prime time TV by attacking him was wrong. Also wrong was the initiative of the “Vetting Committee” or “Leadership Contest Authority” to disqualify that candidate following that incident.

The Statement published by the GPC reads:
«The party’s Leadership Contest Authority (LCA) found that several recent statements by Mr. Perceval-Maxwell were inappropriate and were not aligned with the party’s core values, in particular respect for diversity.» 

Dylan P.-M.’s suggestion of a mandatory $20 payment by any police officer before proceeding to arrest citizens of a certain category, I found bizarre and weird, perhaps wrong, but original. I did not find it racist, considering the context. I understand it can easily be interpreted as being racist, but only “interpreted”. Dylan said he is not a racist. What are we doing? Inquisition? 

That cry of “racism” followed by the disqualification of the candidate sounds to me out of proportion.

Importantly, if the Leadership Contest Authority really cares about (I quote) “the party’s core values, in particular, respect for diversity”, then it would be hard to find a more diverse candidate than the long-time Green member, Dylan Perceval-Maxell, with his bizarre hat and accouterment and bizarre ideas! Unless you limit diversity – understandably, because nowadays fashionable- to race, gender, sexual orientation.

(When disqualified, Dylan was ranking one before last in my ranking of the ten leadership candidates).

Shodja E. Ziaian

2 comments:

  1. As I requested of the GPC leadership in 2016, show some proof that the pronouncements of a member in whatever capacity has resulted in cancelled memberships, with-held contributions, or some similar tangible consequence adverse to party fortunes. Otherwise, to disqualify, suspend, fire etc. a committed member can be just an arbitrary abuse of authority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for you comment.

    ReplyDelete